Please read this Policy carefully before accessing the Site as the Policy applies to the Site and your interactions with GBA through the Site. The Policy constitutes an agreement between you and GBA. By accessing the Site, you signify that you have read this Policy and agree to be bound by it and our Terms and Conditions of Use, which are incorporated herein.
We may update this Policy and the Terms from time to time. Please check this Policy periodically for changes. Each time you use the Site, the current version of the Policy and the Terms will apply. If you do not agree with the Policy or the Terms, you may not access or otherwise use the Site.
Last modified: March 30, 2022
We may collect information and data from or associated with Users in a variety of ways, including, but not limited to, when Users visit the Site, register on the Site, place an order, make a donation, subscribe to a newsletter, respond to a survey, or fill out a form, and in connection with other activities, services, features, or resources we make available on the Site.
Information and data may also be obtained or provided:
- directly from browsing or interacting with our Site;
- in email, text, and other electronic messages between you and the GBA;
- through mobile and/or desktop applications available from the GBA;
- upon submission by you to the GBA; or
- created when you visit our Site, such as device information and communications data.
By voluntarily providing information or using this Site, you consent to the collection and use of your personal information in accordance with the Policy.
Web browser cookies
As you navigate through and interact with our Site, we may use automatic data collection technologies to collect certain information about your equipment, browsing actions, and patterns, including:
- Details of your visits to our Site, including traffic data, location data, logs, and other communication data and the resources that you access and use on the Site; and/or
- Information about your computer and internet connection, including your IP address, operating system, and browser type.
Additional information we collect automatically includes statistical data, which helps us to improve our Site and to deliver a better and more personalized service, including by enabling us to:
- estimate our audience size and usage patterns; and
- recognize you when you return to our Site.
How we use collected information
GBA may collect and use a User’s information, and disclose this information to GBA’s employees, independent contractors, agents, and affiliates for the following purposes:
- To improve customer service – Information you provide helps us respond to your customer service requests and support your needs more efficiently.
- To personalize the User experience – We may use information in the aggregate to understand how our Users as a group use the services and resources provided on the Site.
- To improve the Site – We may use feedback you provide to improve our products and services.
- To process payments – We may use the information Users provide about themselves when placing an order only to provide service to that order.
- To run a promotion, contest, survey, or other Site feature – We may use the information Users provide to send Users information they agreed to receive about topics we think will be of interest to them.
- To send periodic emails – We may use the email address to respond to a User’s inquiries, questions, and/or other requests. If a User decides to opt-in to our mailing list, that User will receive emails that may include GBA news, updates, or related product or service information. If at any time a User would like to unsubscribe from receiving future emails, we include detailed unsubscribe instructions at the bottom of each email.
- As required by law – It is possible that we may need to disclose personal information when required by law, such as responses to civil or criminal subpoenas, or other requests by law enforcement personnel, to establish or exercise our legal rights or defend against legal claims, and if in our judgment such circumstances disclosure is required or appropriate. We may also share personal information if we believe it is necessary in order to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding illegal activities, suspected fraud, situations involving potential threats to the physical safety of any person, violations of the Terms, or as otherwise required by law.
- In any other way we may describe when you provide the information.
- For any other purpose with your consent.
How we protect your information
We adopt appropriate data collection, storage, and processing practices and security measures to protect against unauthorized access, alteration, disclosure, or destruction of your personal information. Sensitive and private data exchange between the Site and its Users happens over a SSL secured communication channel and is encrypted and protected with digital signatures. However, no means of transmission is 100% secure; while we strive to use commercially acceptable means to protect your personal information, we cannot ensure or warrant its absolute security. Consequently, when you transmit your personal information to us, you do so at your own risk.
Sharing your personal information
Other than as provided in this Policy, we do not sell, trade, or rent any User’s personal information to other parties. We may share generic aggregated demographic information not linked to any personal information regarding visitors and Users with our business partners, trusted affiliates, and advertisers for the purposes outlined in this Policy. We may use third party service providers to help us operate our business and the Site or administer activities on our behalf, such as sending out newsletters or surveys. We may share your information with these third parties for those limited purposes.
We may share the name of any User who registers as a member by including the User’s name on our list of members posted on the Site. We may share the name of any User who participates in a contest or program on the Site in order to identify winners or participants.
We may also disclose your personal information:
- to comply with any court order, law, or legal process, including to respond to any government or regulatory request.
- if we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to protect the rights, property, or safety of GBA, our customers, or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organizations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
Children and privacy
Our Website is not intended for children under 13 years of age and we do not knowingly collect personal information from children under 13. By continuing to use this Site, you confirm that you are at least 13 years of age. If we learn we have collected or received personal information from a child under 13 without verification of parental consent, we will delete that information. If you believe we might have any information from or about a child under 13, please contact us at [firstname.lastname@example.org].
Third party websites
Choices About How We Use and Disclose Your Information
We strive to provide you with choices regarding the personal information you provide to us. We have created mechanisms to provide you with the following control over your information.
- Promotional Offers from the Company. If you do not wish to have your contact information used by the Company to promote our own properties and services, you can opt-out by checking the relevant box located on the form on which we collect your data or at any other time by sending us an email stating your request to email@example.com. If we have sent you a promotional email, you may send us a return email asking to be omitted from future email distributions. This opt out does not apply to information provided to GBA as a result of other transactions.
Your California Privacy Rights
California Civil Code Section § 1798.83 permits users of our Site that are California residents to request certain information regarding our disclosure of personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes.
Further, effective January 1, 2020, the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) allows California residents to request access to the personal information that the business has collected about the consumer. California residents also have the right to submit a request for deletion of information under certain circumstances. Consistent with California law, if you choose to exercise your rights.
Any claim relating to the Site shall be governed by the laws of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania without regard to its conflict of law provisions. You and GBA agree to submit to the personal and exclusive jurisdiction of state and federal courts located in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
This Policy, together with the Terms, describe and encompass the entire agreement between us and you and supersede all prior or contemporaneous agreements, representations, warranties, and understandings with respect to the Site, the contents, and materials provided by or through the Site, and the subject matter of this Policy.
Changes to this Policy
GBA may update this Policy at any time and without prior notice in GBA’s sole discretion. When we do, we will post a notification on the main page of our Site. We encourage Users to frequently check this page for any changes to stay informed about how we are helping to protect the personal information we collect. Any changes to this Policy will apply to the information collected from the date we posted any revised Policy as well as to existing information we hold, regardless of whether the User actually reviewed the changes. You acknowledge and agree that it is your responsibility to review this Policy periodically and become aware of modifications.
Your acceptance of this Policy
By using this Site, you signify your acceptance of this Policy. If you do not agree to this Policy, please do not use the Site. Your continued use of the Site following the posting of changes to this Policy will be deemed your acceptance of those changes.
Green Building Alliance
317 East Carson Street, Suite 122, Pittsburgh, PA 15219